When it comes to baking, I’m all about finding short cuts that take out the use of 50 ingredients. While I admire all of those who can handle all of the almond flour, nut butter, and coconut oil goodness, I just don’t have the patience or measuring skills. This is why I get very excited when I find products like Simple Mills. They have baking mixes for all the things – cake, muffins, waffles, pancakes, breads, and even pizza dough! They also have almond flour crackers and seed crackers, which I have yet to try but I’m sure are delicious. So basically, I’m cheating with these muffins, but at least I’m not lying. They really are the easiest. You can upgrade them with walnuts, chocolate chips (like I did), peanut butter, or really whatever banana combo fits your fancy.
Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free – whatever you’re going for with your version of baked goodies – I do find it easier to have your pantry stocked up with at least 85% of the ingredients. These staples come in handy not only for baking, but just cooking healthy recipes in general. A lot of the products in this list can be found on Thrive Market.
These are some baking staples I like to have on hand:
- Coconut flour
- Almond flour
- Tapioca flour
- Vanilla, mint, and almond extract
- Redmond’s Real Sea Salt
- Coconut oil
- Gluten-free baking soda and baking powder
- Cacao powder
This is the mix I used from Simple Mills. It’s gluten-free, made with almond flour, and all you have to do is add eggs and oil (I used melted ghee).
- Simple Mills Banana Bread & Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp ghee, melted and cooled
- 1 cup water
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour into silicone muffin pan or greased muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
If you’re a little more ambitious than me in the baking department, here are some recipes from across the interwebs that you might like to try:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Walnut Muffins from PaleOMG
- Simple Paleo Banana Muffins (4 Ways) from Fit Mitten Kitchen
- Paleo Banana Muffins from Paleo Cupboard
- Cinnamon Spiced Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins from RachLmansfield
- Caramel Stuffed Paleo Banana Muffins from Food Faith and Fitness
- Flax Almond Meal Banan Muffins from Ambitious Kitchen
- Grain-Free Banana Bread from Meaningful Eats
- Paleo Banana Walnut Muffins from The Healthy Foodie
What’s your favorite baked goodie? Do you have any healthy baking shortcuts that you can share? Come over to Real Health & Nutrition for Women and let me know.